Sunday, August 30, 2009

Staying sighted in.

Out at the range last night I ran into a problem. I had previously sighted in both my rifles, but had to once again. Did I do it incorrectly? Did both the scopes get knocked off zero? Are both the scopes low enough quality that they are moving the zero internally? I'm really not sure.

I know that between shots the zero stays where I put it so I would think that the zero should be staying put with respect to the scope. It may be getting bumped around too much for the rings and bases. I put some, not a ton but some, money into getting good quality rings and bases. So my initial thought is that I didn't sight it in correctly last time. I'll take the rifles out again next week to see if the zero has stayed.

-Steven Kipp

2 comments:

  1. This is a problem that may have various solutions. First, check your bases/mounts for loose parts. Then check the scope to see if there is anything obvious that is wrong.

    Remember that different ammo can vary a lot between brands, bullet weight and type and also just between production lots.

    If you are still able to get consistant groups after checking your equipment, then you will need to move your point of impact POI so that it is the same place as your point of aim POA.

    IF the problem persists, get a higher grade of mounts/rings and if possible a quality scope as well.

    Good luck.
    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tyler.

    I've been shooting the same ammo, ammo I've reloaded. Although I have had problems with equipment coming loose. I'll give it some lok-tite and see if that dosen't solve the problem. Maybe it's moving before I am able to notice it's loose.

    -Steven Kipp

    ReplyDelete