Thursday, April 30, 2009

BSA 8-32x44 Review

This post is to review the BSA 8-32x44 scope I have on my Stevens 200 rifle. I picked up this scope from Cabela's about 3 years ago. I purchased this for about $100, after checking out the reviews on it extensively. I was cautious because it was such a cheap scope, however I didn't have the money to put a $1000 scope on a $200 rifle.

As for features, it is fairly simple. There is a nice black rubberized coating that does not shine. It has an eye piece adjustment for the magnification, and on the objective lens for there is the parallax adjustment. It also has a mil-dot reticle, with 1/8 MOA clicks for adjustment.
The eye relief is short, about 3.5 inches. The optics are clear, but not optimal. The difference in light is readily available between this scope and higher dollar ones. I was not surprised at this because it was an inexpensive scope. The scope also seems solid and well built. I wouldn't hammer nails with it, but I'm not afraid of breaking it with any sort of normal use either.

Mounting this scope I have a tall scope rings on due to the size of both the eye piece and the objective lens. With medium rings, the bolt comes very close to the eye piece and can make reloading difficult. These rings, I've decided, need to be replaced. They close on in an uneven way and don't look as sturdy as they might be. Also because the close to one side it tends to turn the scope as they are tightened. I have also put on "flip-up" covers on it. These are clear to allow me to look through the scope when they are closed if need be.
Additionally, this scope came with screw on/off covers and a four inch sun shade in the box.

In the field I've put over a hundred rounds through this rifle with this scope and it keeps the zero very well. The adjustments also seem to on at 1/8 MOA, as far as I can tell.

Overall I give this scope very high marks for the beginning shooter who wants high power when it comes to the scope. I think if you have the money and experience this may not be the scope for you, but I have no problems recommending this scope for someone who can deal with a slightly lower quality scope and wants to save a good deal of money.

-Steven Kipp

No comments:

Post a Comment