Thursday, June 25, 2009

3rd Annual Fathers Day Shoot

Every year, for the past three years, Brad and I have been holding a shoot in memory of our dad. We had this years shoot on the weekend before father's day due to ease of scheduling. This event is a full day of shooting everything from handguns to shotguns to rifles. We pack a lunch and stay all day at the range, usually shooting up more ammo than some people own altogether. Needless to say it's a ton of fun.

So why is it that I'm blogging about this here on a blog dedicated to long range rifle shooting only? Well a big part of this years fun was shooting at a good distance with a couple of my rifles. Having gotten into the long distance shooting at last years shoot, this years amount of that was highly expanded. I had purchased a spotting scope, which helped out enormously. I have also obtained a new rifle (Savage 10FCP, review coming soon) to shoot with.

Some of our greatest improvements were in communication between the spotter and the shooter. This allowed for us to hit pop cans at 450 yards by the second shot. Brad even spotted for me on the one can I hit with the first shot. That was indeed a great boost of confidence for me, as well as for Brad. In everything I've read the spotter is the one who does most of the work, and the shoot is just the trigger man.(unless the shooter is the only one there, of course) So I must give the majority of the credit to Brad for that shot.

Below: One water filled container hit with my 270 at about 475 yards.


-Steven Kipp

No comments:

Post a Comment