Sunday, October 4, 2009

Reloading, Part 2: How to do it

When I started reloading, my first question was: "How do I take these four parts (case, bullet, powder and primer) and turn them into a usable round?" This is very important question because I didn't want to wing this. Remember, in using a firearm you are creating an explosion in very close proximity to your hands, face and other stuff you don't want to hurt. More importantly the explosion in wrapped in metal from the barrel and action. The only thing worse than being next to an explosion is having shrapnel fly at from point-blank range. The point is anyone reloading needs to know what they are doing. Let me repeat that: anyone reloading NEEDS to know what they are doing.

The best way to learn is to have someone show you how to do it. There is no substitute for hands-on experience. There are some good videos and books out there, but I would refer someone to these as additional material once they have learned what to do and how to do it safely. I will not try to teach anyone how to reload here on my blog, for safety reasons. Personally, I had my father-in-law teach me how. It was an enjoyable afternoon of manly bonding and I even scored some brownie points with my wife for it. There are a lot of up sides to reloading, besides cheaper ammo.

So find mom, dad, a friend, a relative, a friend of a relative, or the little old lady next door that packs the .44 mag to the grocery store and learn what, and what not to do. You might even make some new friends doing it.

-Steven Kipp

No comments:

Post a Comment