Monday, November 16, 2009

Reloading Part 3: Cleaning Brass


Cleaning the brass is a rather simple procedure. It requires a brass cleaner(either a vibrating or rotary cleaner), media and, of course the spent brass.

I throw my spent brass in the cleaner with the spent primers still in the casing. I've also tried this with the spent primer removed and the only difference I noticed was that the media needed to be cleaned out of the priming pocket if the primer is not left in there.

I'm using a Hornady vibratory brass cleaner with Lyman Turbo Tumbler media. I put about 3.5 lbs of media in with 100 casings of .270 WIN brass and turn it on for 4-6 hours. One note of safety is that I tend not to leave it running while I'm out of the house...better safe than sorry.

I've heard that that you can leave the brass in the cleaner longer if you want to have more of a shine on it. Personally I don't see a benefit to it. There are also several different kinds of media you can put in with your brass, depending on how pretty you want to make it. I've only tried this Lyman stuff, but it does work so I've kept with it.

Hopefully when you're done the brass should come out clean and ready to go.


-Steven Kipp

12 comments:

  1. Caution:
    The cat is not a big fan of the vibratory cleaner. Our new kitten, that has been following me around like a puppy, took off to anywhere but near me when I turned it on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just as a side note, you may wish to continue to keep tumbling the cases with the primer pockets in, but most high-accuracy handloaders clean/ream the primer pockets anyway. If you choose to do this, it makes sense to de-prime before cleaning.

    The pocket reaming/cleaning is done very carefully, as removing too much material from the pocket will result in a loose pocket. Many accuracy buffs also trim the pocket from the inside, removing primer pocket burrs that are found on the inside of the case.

    This is tedious work, but if you are looking to get the absolute most accurate results, it is often worth the extra effort!

    Keep up the good work guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tyger006: Care to elaborate on cleaning and reaming the primer pockets? I've heard of it, but haven't even seen it, let alone have done it. We'd love some more info on that.

    -Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much for this post.
    45 ACP Once Fired Brass For Sale - LPP, Once Fired. FREE Shipping and bulk discounts on bullets and brass. Bulk Packaged, 100/pk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The issue with clothing cleansers and family cleaners is that they contain brutal synthetics and dying operators that could promptly stain the cover. It will be to your advantage to initially lead investigate about the best cleaning arrangements previously utilizing them on your cover. carpet cleaning Brooklyn NY

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Narch.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I find reading this article a joy. It is extremely helpful and interesting and very much looking forward to reading more of your work.. getdubaimaids.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. The website is looking bit flashy and it catches the visitors eyes. Design is pretty simple and a good user friendly interface. Carpet Cleaning Companies Fayetteville NC

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reputable professional carpet cleaning companies would invest money to research and bring in effective cleaning system and products to produce excellent and safe cleaning result. best portable carpet cleaners

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our. Oakland Park FL

    ReplyDelete